If you aren't a rock or haven't been living under one, you know that we are experiencing quite a significant economic downturn. I remember downplaying it last October when everyone was talking about recession coming, but here we are staring it in the face. It's times like these that make me appreciate what our grandparents and even Jim's folks must have gone through during the depression. I get the sense that we could be standing in line to buy bread somewhere in the coming months. Regardless of how hard it is right now, I surprisingly remain optimistic that things will turn about soon as they always do and I feel quite positive. I feel stronger for having to go through it -- and would even go as far as saying I'm almost thankful that we are going through it. As they say, "what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger." Well, I'm still alive and I choose to remain strong and survive no matter what. It's forcing us to look at our life under a microscope and re-evaluate what is really necessary to live and what really matters the most. We are making smarter decisions. We didn't really need DirecTV and we found out Allstate was gouging us and have knocked off $400 our monthly bill. Next is to get the home refinanced and take advantage of offers. I'm not going to sugar-coat it that much because I'd be lying if I didn't like some of the luxuries we've grown accustomed to, but really we just need a roof over our head, clothes on our back and food on the table - everything else I now see as icing on the cake.
We've gone through hard times before. When we were first married we rubbed two pennies together to buy .99¢ spaghetti dinners. And 2001 was a hard year for everyone with 9/11, but especially for us with the passing of our 15 year-old nephew, followed by my aunt and then my daddy all within weeks of each other. 2003 is a year that will always remain infamous as that was the year of our miscarriage, our dog Nutmeg was killed tragically at the same time that Jim's hernia operation went array as we were purchasing and moving into our first home. That may have been the hardest time of our lives. But we got through it and it makes us appreciate the good things in life. Each "hard" time is different - and this one is full of uncertainty of the future, but also filled with opportunity and challenges. You just have to dig down deep and find the strength to rise and meet them. Each day has been throwing me a curve ball ... from work stress, nursing stressors, and personal financial stress. Mostly knocking each one out of the park as they come and hoping to keep that luck and momentum, but here I am sitting at my computer at 1 am with my entire family sleeping downstairs on floors and sofas because it's slightly cooler. You see, our air conditioner broke today. Another $1,500 repair no doubt. And while a small part of me wants to whine, the larger (and sweatier part) rises up within me and attacks it once again, head on, without fear, knowing our God will take care of us and we have the love of each other.
I feel stronger, smarter and sweatier.
No comments:
Post a Comment