Friday, April 30, 2010

1.5 million homeschoolers in 2007

The number of home-schooled kids hit 1.5 million in 2007, up 74% from when the Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics started keeping track in 1999 as stated in this USA Today article a year ago.

I wonder what the statistics are now three years later....I'll keep looking.

Update: I found this:
"There were an estimated 1,700,000 to 2,100,000 children (grades K-12) home educated during 2002-2003 in the United States. Homeschooling appears to still be the fastest-growing form of education."
– Brian D. Ray, Ph.D., Facts on Homeschooling.


That was for 2002 and they say up to 15% increase per year. Haven't found any current data for 2009 as they may not have that ready to publish. If there are approximately 73 million children in the U.S. having over 2 million homeschool doesn't seem like a whole lot, but then again, not all cases are reported since some are categorized as private schooled. So ... I give up since I can't get accurate numbers, but at least I have an idea now of the potential percentage.

The Home School Legal Defense Association study shows higher academic level than public school counterparts.

No comments:

Post a Comment