Thursday, June 17, 2010

Shocking Love

I've recently been told some shocking, life-altering news from a close friend. The kind that makes you take a step back and really examine how you truly feel and think about life. How it should be, but isn't. It's complicated and messy, gray, full of questions, not black & white at all. It was a roller coaster ride of emotions from shock, confusion, followed by a very short bit of anger to intense pain/grief to acceptance. It was just a week ago, and as I write this today I feel hopeful that everything will turn out alright. As my dear friend is facing, I was forced to face the reality of tolerance levels of acceptance in society. We've come a long way with civil rights, equality, but we still have a ways to go. It doesn't mean you have to understand, but you do have to love. Love should be a requirement. It's the most important thing in our household. We aren't perfect, as we are human, in the flesh, and raised with all the moldings of past generational thoughts handed down by our parents, teachers and other influencers.

But love conquers a multitude of wrongs. Love bears all things, hopes all things and endures all things. Love is the answer. Just ask my five year old...he'll tell you it's the most important thing...Love God and Love others. It doesn't mean I have all the answers. I don't. But I for one am glad to hug my friend and say, "we'll get through this together and I love you." Honestly, I just can't fathom doing anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment