Monday, February 14, 2011

Gabriel's Golf Lesson

Gabriel had his first golf lesson with Ms. Heidi at Stone Mountain. She said right away, "Wow! Gabriel's been practicing!" I guess it had been some time since she saw him for summer camp. I'm not really sure how much he has practiced with the cold weather, but I guess he's made improvement. He had us all cracking up because he went through three buckets of balls in the time others were still working on their first. When he came to get more balls he asked her "Uh, how much are they?"

She wants him to spend more time on his set up and gave a wonderful analogy. She asked him if he baked with his mommy? Does she spend time getting out all of the ingredients first, then mixes in the bowl and then finally bakes it? He was putting his ball down and just swinging away and she wanted him to set up. He has a good swing and follow through. I told him on the way home if he likes golf and wants to, we can sign up for a tournament once he turns seven years old. That means not until this time next year will he be able to join. Meanwhile, I guess we have a year to teach him the rules and etiquette of the game.

Edit: we shared the photos of his swing with our good friend Larry who was on the pro tour once. Here are his comments:
"I like his swing, particularly his footwork/position through the ball. If a player has good footwork, it overcomes most any other bad habit. The only slight criticism I would offer is the flying left elbow which looks to be caused by his right shoulder being a little bit low coming through the ball. No big deal! Fundamentally sound."

No comments:

Post a Comment