Saturday, July 16, 2011

What's in a name?

They say a name carries with it distinct meaning and importance. Which is why when it came to naming our first born son, I prayed to be led to select just the right one. "His name will be Gabriel" came to me very peacefully and clearly. We absolutely love it. It's beautiful, it means, "man of God" and doesn't reflect a person, but an angel of God. Yet, I still wish I had a sweet, endearing pet name for my son to call him on occasion. The only one we've used other than "baby" is "The Tornado" which to my dismay backfired when he started "acting" out this nickname on purpose. I know these things are supposed to come naturally, but it's been almost seven years and nothing yet.

Not the same for my daughter. We too love her name of Giselle Helena. Which of course we'll use the full name when she is being naughty – that's easy. And the nicknames all came easily too...
Gisellie - given by Gabriel
Gisellie Belly Boo Boo - given by Shawna
Gisellie Bean - given by her daddy
Jelly Bean
Lovebug
Ladybug
Zell Bell
Zellie

Gabe is the obvious one that some folks call him. I don't correct them, but it's not on my radar for him. Do I need to pray in a nickname too? (just kidding) Should I not worry about it knowing Gabriel is a beautiful name? Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment