This month has been quite stressful with my unmanageable workload and my mothers emergency triple bypass surgery. The prospect of losing my Mama was quite scary. It all worked out nicely in the end. She is recuperating well and I was able to take a week to work from her kitchen and help nurse her back to health. I'm undomesticated so being out of my element just a bit with cooking, cleaning, giving meds, taking blood pressure, etc., but loved every minute of it.
We were able to launch three websites and a 28 page magazine the same week our friend Greg Hammer has returned to work. Together, should make my work load feel like a vacation, at least says my boss. I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel and making a concerted effort with my stress level. Nothing is worth the risk its toll such as hypertension, or worse, cancer, stroke or heart attack. This is my own method for stress-reducing:
1. Working more efficiently and smartly
2. Delegating to others
3. Learning how to say the simple word "no" so you don't over commit yourself and spread too thin -- by the way, I'm TERRIBLE at this
4. Make yourself take breaks - get up from your desk for five minute walks/stretches to refresh your brain in order to be productive
5. Learn to relax my muscles at my desk and just breathe. Studies have shown when you are stressed you take shorter breaths, trying to take deliberately longer breaths for much needed oxygen.
6. Don't worry. Worry leads to stress which leads to illness like hypertension, or worse... cancer, heart attack or stroke. Worry generates confusion and leads you down the backwards path.
7. Remembering that it's "not the end of the world" if you ask to push back an interim deadline or maneuver other meetings around to accommodate your stress level and manage your day.
8. Prioritizing my responsibilities. God, family, work, friends, extra curricular activities, etc.
9. Pray - always having a mental attitude of thankfulness and optimism. "You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you."
Finally, realizing that I'm not alone in this world. God is always with me and I have family and friends who love and support me.
No comments:
Post a Comment