Monday, December 27, 2010

Santa?

Every year I tell Gabriel Santa isn't real, but Jesus is. I know this is controversial, but every family has their "way" to celebrate the holiday. We are Christian, and believe the focus should be kept on Jesus. Despite my efforts in telling him the gentle truth, he's not sure he believes me. With all the Christmas commercialism, movies and music about Santa, I think he wants to believe. So for the first time this Christmas, I'm all torn up inside because I don't want to disappoint him, but I've always been honest with him.

I asked him the other night what he thought.

"I don't know. I think we should do a test," he replied.
"What kind of test?" I questioned.
"Let's set out cookies and milk and see if they are there in the morning," he remarked.
I nervously asked, "and what if they aren't there in the morning?"
He exclaimed, "then we'll eat the cookies!"

I wanted to gauge how much he'd be disappointed, but we set out to complete his experiment. It tortured me all night having those cookies displayed. The next morning he completely forgot about them until after breakfast, "oh yea, the cookies!" as he ran into the family room by the fire place.

He had a big smile on his face as he ate the sugar cookie and I felt a little better. Then I thought I needed to go into a little more detail with him about how Saint Nicholas was a person who loved Jesus long ago who was very loving who gave secret gifts and now people play the "Santa game". I also went into serious detail that in no way is he to interrupt anyone who is playing the game or they (and their parents) will be really upset with us. He seems to get it and my spirit feels at peace again. Whew, for a moment there, I contemplated going with what majority of society does simply because it would have been easier....and honestly maybe a little fun, but I'm glad we have our strong belief in the Lord. He is the center of our world. I've considered perhaps playing our own version of a "Santa game" next year by pinpointing someone who we can give secret gifts to....that would be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment