Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sleep is underrated

Life is still very much about survival ... there is work pressure, financial stress, kids health, safety and education, trying to keep my husband's pain level down - out of the hospital and generally alive, illness that has plagued our home this month and lack of sleep on both Jim and my part. Yes, it's hard, but strangely I'm glad to have gone through it. As Paul said, he learned patience through things which he suffered. And, I can now see light at the end of the tunnel. Things are appearing hopeful at work, Giselle and Gabriel are growing and are generally sweet and healthy kids, and I believe Giselle is beginning to sleep through the night. At least this is the second time that we've woken up and Jim and I looked at each other and asked, "did you get up with her?" and shocked when the answer was "No." The lack of sleep I think is the kicker...it makes me short and snappy at my poor dear husband who is in pain and doing the best he can and his pain and lack of sleep makes for a really grumpy person, understandably.

I've also had three occasions spent with girlfriends over the last couple of months. A few of us Mommies in the neighborhood have gotten together to spend time without the interruption of kids and it's been a wonderful time of sharing and laughter. I realized something important after that. One, I REALLY need to make time for friends...(not for them...for ME!)... and Two, friendships are invaluable. I think it makes you a more holistic person. I'm not putting myself down for not having done it yet, because with nursing, working and being a mom, there hasn't been much time, but now that things look like they are getting a little easier to manage, I can't wait to have another girls night out. I haven't felt like I've had much left of me to "give" lately, but feeling a little more rested helps tremendously! Sleep is definitely underrated. At least, it makes it easier to manage all the challenges of life with a brain that can function.

No comments:

Post a Comment